Services were held Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017, at Memorial Gardens Funeral Home and Cemetery for Margaret Rose Sargent Lewis of Delta, formerly of Colorado Springs.
Margaret was born July 3, 1921, in Seattle, Wash., to Joseph Melvin Sargent and Margaret Jane Johnson Sargent, and passed from this life on July 30, 2017, in Grand Junction. Margaret was preceded in passing by her husband of 75+ years, Lloyd Leslie Lewis, and her son, Dennis Lynn Lewis, her parents, a brother, Robert M. Sargent, and a sister Ruby.
Margaret is survived by a sister-in-law, Elaine Crow of Aurora, and a brother-in-law, Howard Aab, of Perryville, Fla., several cousins and several nieces and nephews.
Margaret's grandparents, Joseph and Elsie Sargent, owned and ran the hotel at Sargents, Colo., and ran the toll booth at Marshall Pass for Otto Mears. The town of Sargents at the west end of Monarch Pass in Colorado still carries the family name. The hotel building stood for many years as an exhibit at Buckskin Joe's near Cañon City.
Margaret was raised in Western Colorado where she met her husband, Lloyd, in 1938 in Olathe. Margaret and Lloyd were married on Dec. 24, 1940, in Colorado Springs, where they made their home near Garden of the Gods, until 2015 when failing health led them back to Western Colorado to be near family members, Lindsey and Becki Lewis of Cedaredge, who were companions to Margaret and Lloyd in their final years.
Margaret was a long-time member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Colorado Springs. Margaret and Lloyd were active in square dance, and spent many of their retirement years traveling across the North American continent enjoying scenery and visiting with old friends and making many new ones everywhere they visited.
On Dec. 4 Delta County Commissioners Doug Atchley, Mark Roeber and Don Suppes denied the application of Paonia Holdings, LLC for a change of land use for the property at 41322 Highway 133, with an adjacent residence at 41402 Highway 133 and an ancillary property at 16180 Stevens Gulch Road.
The property is owned by Bowie Resources, LLC, and was formerly used as a coal load-out site.